Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sometimes We All Need to Whine

There are tines when life just gets way to complicated. Although we are (finally!) having wonderful summer weather there's just too much on my plate to enjoy it.

Things I can do nothing about: (1) I'm still waiting to hear from the publisher and am very anxious to know if all the various corrections have been made to our projects downloads. (2) My mom has had another episode of verbal abuse from her roommate. I'll talk with the social worker...again....today, but honestly I don't know what they can do. The roommate needs a long "time out" but they don't exist in a nursing home. But no 86 year old should be subjected to being sworn at, being given the finger, or being told that the roommate wants her dead. (3) I read my cousin's daily updates on his wife's recovery and my heart aches for all they are going through while simultaneously rejoicing in how far she has come.

Things I can do something about but don't know where I'll find the time: (1) BER work is progressing but there is just so much right now. I finished one handbook, did a rough "script" and a preliminary Power Point. I need to do the long boring thing of actually "presenting" the seminar to myself so I can figure out the timing, then finalize the script and PP and be ready to present in Georgia. Then I get to do the other handbook. All by August 1. (2) I'm happy that we have a second interview with a pastoral candidate on Saturday, but need to spend a chunk of time going over notes and getting back up to speed on that process. (3) I'm happy that Ken's brother Bill is coming for the weekend but need to find the time to move a lot of Kevin's stuff out of the smaller bedroom so that Bill can use it and, oh yeah, get some food in the house. (4) I'm glad I have the opportunity to teach my Art of Spain series to two different adult ed. groups in the fall, but they both want information now. (5) I need a couple hours to prepare for our hymn selection team meeting on Sunday. (6) I need a nap...or two.

Last January I was very restless because I didn't have a whole lot to do. That may happen again in September. That is the weird thing about retirement--something I also found true in my at home Mom days. When you work full time, you go to work every day, it's regular and somewhat predictable (as predictable as middle school can be :-). When you work part time or as a volunteer, life loses its predictability and you're either too busy or not busy enough.

So now I've whined. Now I need to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment