Friday, May 8, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

A former colleague transplanted to Raleigh, NC recently complained in an e-mail that they don't get Spring--just go from winter to hot and humid. Although we've considered building arks during this rainy Spring, there are certainly some wonderful things about this time of year in the midwest!

  • Baby Geese: Yes, they will grow up to be disgusting geese, but it was sure fun to see several groups of fuzzy yellow goslings "toddling around" the lake during our walk this morning.
  • Aromas: I took my mother for a walk around her building this morning. I felt bad that age has robbed her of her sense of smell because I was practically getting drunk on the aromas from the crab apple trees and honeysuckle bushes.
  • Mail Carriers Wearing Shorts: I feel like raising my arm in victory and shouting "yes!" when I see them able to actually enjoy their walking!
  • Pansies: In this climate pansies rule in Spring! They thrive in spite of rain, occasional freezes, and wind. They don't come and go in a flash as do the tulips and daffodils, but show their smiling faces from April until it finally gets consistenly hot in late June.
  • Park Districk Brochures: Yes! Water aerobics OUTSIDE will soon be here!
  • Girl Stuff: No baby or bridal showers for me to attend this year, but I am going to the Lutheran Social Services of Illinois brunch and fashion show tomorrow with Lisa and her mom. Hooray for daughters-in-law and the opportunity for Moms of sons to do girl stuff with the special women who love their male offspring!
  • Sandals: Oh, how happy my toes are to escape!
OK, midwesterners (or transplanted midwesterners), what would make your Spring list????

No comments:

Post a Comment