Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thankfulness

On Monday I had a routine mammogram. Today's mail had the much hoped for letter stating that all is well in that department. No reason to suspect a problem but, as the technologist diplomatically put it, "with each advancing year there's a stronger possibility of change." This potential bullet dodged makes me think of other things - big and small - I'm thankful about today.

1. Things lost, found, and still lost

At the end of my last water aerobics class before recent travels my plastic fee card was not on my towel where I had left it. Yesterday it was found and, best of all, no one had used the $60 worth of classes it held!

My mother's missing batch of clothes, however, has still not been found. I'm still betting the Monahan family has the Mohrman clothes. I'm also betting that the social worker is dragging her feet on calling them because it is difficult to call a grieving family with a seemingly trivial question. I thankful, however, that my mom is handling this loss fairly well and that Rosewood has assured us they will reimburse us if necessary.

2. Balance

This morning was the first time in the pool for three weeks. It felt SO GOOD to move and exercise again! We did a lot of novel movements today, many involving balancing on a submerged "noodle". I was the only one who maintained balance for all the activities. We take balance for granted, but shouldn't, and I'm thankful that I could do that today!

3. Buds and Birds

It's damp and in the 40's, but there is hope for Spring. Robin sightings are frequent, the forsythia along our driveway have buds, and there are green sprouts appearing where we'll soon have daffodils and irises. Costco even had big buckets of pansies for sale yesterday!

4. Good news about "kids"

In spite of internal hassles regarding financing, David is registered for his next class at NU....and is very excited to take this class on cement! Seems like a "hard" subject to me! (Groan!)

David and Lisa are off next week to their annual trip to Hawaii, compliments of Lisa's parents' time-share. They have incredibly busy schedules so I'm thankful they have special opportunities to relax together

In spite of rain, Kevin had a fun week in Miami playing with the New World Symphony and connecting with a good NU percussionist friend.

Jen had a not so fun, but lucrative, week regulating harps in Bloomington during her Spring break.

All four of them will be home for Easter. It's been several years since that happened and the Easter Bunny is excited!

5. Sense of Humor

Our senses of humor have gotten Ken and me through a lot of things over the course of 30 years. This morning I left a sleeping Ken to go to water aerobics. When I returned Ken had left for work. On the microwave was the following message: "It's hard to believe....After 30 years of marriage you get up one morning and your wife is gone, not even a note left behind."

I responded via e-mail (our main form of communication some days), "At least she didn't take the family jewels or empty the bank accounts."

He answered, "So far."

....a
nd we both are thankful to know we both are joking!


1 comment:

  1. Since my mother raised me to be attentive to details, I should point out that I'm taking a class about concrete - cement and concrete are not the same thing. Score +2 nerd points if you you why.

    ReplyDelete