Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm Humbled Again!

After church today I chatted with my friends Norm and Alice (Yes! the first friend I have ever had who shares my rather uncommon name). They never cease to amaze me.

Norm's loves include poetry and German. I have read beautiful love poems Norm has written to Alice in English. I have read his incredibly sensitive religious poems that have been used in our worship. Norm has also written poetry in German. Did I mention that Norm is Korean? He can write POETRY in two foreign languages!

Norm and Alice are runners. They both completed the Chicago Marathon last fall. Alice came in first in her age range. Did I mention that they are a little older than I?

Norm and Alice are both stalwart choir members. Through her running connections Alice became involved with a multi-ethnic choir that last year presented a series of concerts in China. My Korean friend proclaimed her faith in English to Chinese audiences.

Norm and Alice have three grown children. One of them is a pastor. They told me this morning that he and his wife are preparing to be missionaries in Jordan. In preparation for their new ministry, they have been studying Arabic in Jordan for the past nine months. Norm and Alice are excited about an up-coming trip to visit their son and daughter-in-law in Jordan.

Norm told me of the struggle their son faces learning Arabic. The son has been told by his teachers that Arabic is a very "disorganized" language. He feels that, when he finally understands one aspect of the language, he finds the next topic is totally different. As a language teacher, I know that no language is "disorganized". Even what we would consider a "primitive" language is highly structured....but Alice's and Norm's son is learning a totally different type of language and writing system in addition to English and his native Korean.

On top of the language issues, Norm's son and daughter-in-law face something I would never have imagined. According to Norm and Alice there is strong anti-Asian prejudice among Arabic people in Jordan. Norm thinks this is because the first Asians that Arabs came into contact with ages ago were prostitutes or swindlers. It sounds like all Asians, no matter what country they call home, are lumped in the same category as those early arrivals.

And, of course, there is the minor issue of proclaiming Christianity in a country that is in the midst of huge political and religious turmoil.

One's first impression of Norm and Alice is that of quiet, unassuming, friendly people. As I get to know them better, I'm awestruck by their abilities, their faith, and their humility. What models of faith and perseverance they are...and I am humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment