Saturday, March 14, 2009

Circling the Wagons

Today was the funeral for my friend Gail's mom, Gertrude. It was an all day affair - travel to Milwaukee, a visitation time, the funeral service, the interment, a lovely luncheon, then return home. Long days at funerals, however, provide a multitude of opportunities and gifts.

Today's opportunities and gifts obviously included showing Gail and her family that we care. Friendship is sort of like marriage - for better or worse - and being there for each other in all circumstances is a gift. My Club 62 friends talk about "circling the wagons" whenever someone has a problem. I am so thankful to have friends ready to "circle the wagons" when needed, and know that Gail and her family are thankful for their friends tonight.

Although I've known Gert for 27 years, I obviously missed out on her first 70 years. The officiating pastor is Gail's cousin. She affectionately referred to "Aunt Gertrude" throughout her sermon. Wow! Did that make the Biblical promises personal and real! A profound gift.

In the midst of sadness, it was a joy to also have time to be excited about what's ahead. Today it was especially exciting to hear Gail's and Charlie's daughter, Margaret, tell of potential graduate study. Three hours in the car provided lots of time for Lisa to tell some important family and work stories and for David to share good news of his potential graduate study and work plans.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that life is a constant juxtaposition. Today it was grieving the loss of someone who lived a very long meaningful life, while at the same time rejoicing in what's ahead for young people and appreciating the gifts of long-term friendship with others in our age range. Although no one looks forward to spending a day at a funeral, there is something to be said for spending a day away from the normal hubbub to think about and appreciate these gifts of time, friendship, and love.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I haven't extended my sympathies to you yet. I've always loved Gail, and can only imagine that her mother must have been a special woman.

    I, too, am so grateful for the "wagon circlers" in my life.

    ReplyDelete