Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Few Travel Observations

In spite of all the terrorism warnings and reminders ad nauseum, a man sitting near me in the departure area at O'Hare asked me where McDonalds is located and then ASKED ME TO KEEP AN EYE ON HIS BAGS while he went there! I was dumbfounded....and totally nervous that someone would come and put a bomb in his suitcase. He was on my flight, after all!

Later at the Burlington airport I entered a small washroom. Outside the stall a woman had just parked her suitcase and computer bag while she used the facilities. Granted, it is difficult to get all your stuff into a small stall....but REALLY DUMB to leave your stuff where anyone can easily take it. Anybody want the laptop I borrowed from her?

My father who over-taught me over and over again to be super careful about everything would be horrendously horrified.

People in Vermont must really be as quirky and back to nature as they are made out to be. It was 50º in Chicago and is 40º here. Nonetheless, there were at least two people on the plane wearing flip-flops and my young male seatmate was wearing just a t-shirt. (Actually he also had on pants and shoes, but you knew that!)

Finally, while riding in the hotel shuttle we passed a decent looking motel named the "Ho-Hum Inn". Who on earth would want to stay somewhere that advertises itself as "Ho-Hum"?

Fortunately I'm staying in a fascinating Hampton Inn and will now go for a swim in its exhilarating tiny indoor pool, eat dinner at the gourmet quality "T BONES" restaurant next door, and watch Glee with glee later on. I hope deciding which of the four different types of pillows is most comfortable won't keep me awake all night.

1 comment:

  1. The "watch my bags for a minute" thing has happened to me at the airport, too. It weirds me out, but then again, maybe one day we'll all be able to have such faith in our fellow passengers so as to trust them with our own carry-on luggage.

    My Number One travel annoyance, though, is that the fancier the hotel, the more they nickel-and-dime you on amenities such as breakfast and Internet access. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete