Tuesday, November 10, 2009

10 Inconsequential Things

Sometimes it's the small things that bring joy to an ordinary day.

1. DRIVE-UP PHARMACIES It happened about 28 years too late, but we have a new Walgreens complete with the FIRST drive-up anything allowed in this town. It isn't -20º and I wasn't dragging a sick two-year-old, but it still was nice to stay in my car and pick up a prescription.

2. DRIVE-THRU McDONALDS Also about 28 years too late, but Northbrook is about to get its FIRST drive-through restaurant. It will be located about six blocks from our first home. The irony of this is that Ken often traveled to Europe when the boys were young. To break up the lo-o-o-o-ng days, I'd pack the kids in the car and drive at least twenty minutes to the complete other side of the village in order to let them feast and play in the inside equipment. Sometimes I'd drive twenty minutes in another direction to go through a drive-in when Ken wasn't coming home and I couldn't stand the idea of cooking mac and cheese one more time. I doubt I'll be a regular customer at this new McD's, but I'm excited for some young mom with a traveling husband and young kids.

3. STUFFED ANIMALS (Spoiler Alert, Nancy) Every month there is a sale at the nursing home. Someone brings in all sorts of things for the residents to buy. My mother, the professional bargain shopper, loves this event. Yesterday I gave her $20 and suggested she buy some Christmas presents. Today she proudly showed me her purchases which included three adorable stuffed animals for her great-grandsons. (Of course, there are only two great-grandsons, but math isn't Mom's strong suit.) The funny thing is that I had no fewer than five conversations and "petting" episodes as I walked out of the building holding these soft creatures. Whether age two or ninety-two, stuffed animals bring out "oohs" and "ahs" in everyone.

4. LISTS I packed today for a two-day seminar series. I've always despised packing and could spend hours worrying that I had included all the necessary items. About six months ago I made a list of all the things I might need for a trip. I also bought duplicates of all my toiletries and packed cosmetic bags with all those items. I keep all the "technical" gear in my computer bag. Now I pull down my cosmetic bags, lay out my clothes, put the computer in its bag, double check that I've included everything else on my list, and, voilá, I'm packed.

5. SUNSHINE It's gray and Novemberish in Chicago today, but they predict sun in Burlington VT tomorrow. Burlington is a beautiful town on the shores of Lake Champlain. Last time I was there it was so rainy and cloudy that I never saw the lake. I'll see it tomorrow!

6. SENSE OF HUMOR I printed my boarding pass and was horrified to see that my name is listed as Kosnik AliceMS. "Oh, no!" I thought. "They'll never let me through security if my name doesn't match my ID." A quick e-mail response from the logistics person at my company assured me there is no problem. United requires a title and I guess I'm a "Ms." Guess she'll go home and have a good laugh tonight with her family over a dumb presenter!

7. TURQUOISE I had a manicure and pedicure yesterday. The finger nails are a nice professional clear shade. My toes are turquoise! Ken laughed and commented that he was glad I hadn't gotten a tattoo.

8. PUMPKIN PIE I made one Sunday. It's really OK to make something I really like when it's not yet Thanksgiving.

9. JERSEY BOYS We saw Jersey Boys last Valentine's Day and both said we'd love to see it again - something we've never said about any other play. Today I was able to get inexpensive tickets for a matinee while my brother and sister-in-law are here for Thanksgiving. I'm smiling already!

10. CASSEROLE I made two on Sunday. We'll eat one for dinner tonight. I don't have to cook! Enough said!

No comments:

Post a Comment