Monday, February 23, 2009

We're So Nosy!

A high school girl in a neighboring town disappeared Friday afternoon while running with her track team. Many citizens spent Saturday searching through wooded areas searching for this young woman. Saturday evening the girl showed up at her home.....and there the story ends......and that is driving people crazy! Yes, people are very happy that she is safe at home and, yes, they respect the family's right to privacy in what is surely a difficult situation. But, oh, we are soooooooooo nosy! What happened???????????

My mother's friend Barbara recently moved from Rosewood to another nursing home. Barbara told people when she was moving, but didn't tell anyone why ........and that is driving my mother crazy! How could she not share the juicy details?

My friend Gail visits the sick as part of her job at the church. Some folks don't want information about their illnesses to be shared. Gail is great at keeping those confidences.....and it drives me crazy! Of course, I respect people's privacy....but I'm soooooo nosy.

Why do we care so much about things that really are other people's business?

I don't know, but maybe I'll feel less confused if I take a walk to the convenience store for a People or Star magazine and look in all the neighbors' windows as I walk by :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment