Sunday, February 15, 2009

Technology Makes Our Lives Simpler - NOT

For Christmas, 2007 Ken gave me an old plate - his way of saying that we would get dish TV. Finally in November we ordered DVR and upgraded wireless service from AT+T. Our scheduled installation day was last Tuesday.

The installer came at 8:00 and didn't finish until 3:30. We were quite impressed by his thoroughness, but neither of us was home to watch TV that evening. When Ken got home about 10:00 he sat down to try out our system....but couldn't get anything but the AT+T symbol on the screen. After getting the sleepy language person (me) out of bed to help the wide awake computer analyst (Ken), all that remained on the screen was that AT+T symbol. After an hour long phone call to tech support and much button pushing, it was determined that it was AT+T's local problem and would be fixed by morning. By then, the computer analyst was sleepy and went to bed.

Next morning we still only have the AT+T symbol, but there is a guy with a tool belt walking down our driveway. He had just done some additional installation work outside, but we convinced him to come in and figure out what was going on. After yet more button pushing, we discover that the really thorough installer had not connected two big cables in the basement. Voila! We had service (although it took an additional hour of hanging around with this guy--in my nightgown and robe, no less--while he pushed yet more buttons).

BUT THEN, I had to spend a couple of hours that afternoon figuring out how to record the various series shows that we like to watch.

BUT THEN, I decided to start this blog and had to figure out how to do that.

BUT THEN, I used "Stella", our Garmin Nuvi, who was this year's Christmas present to each other, to get to Sharie's house yesterday. Actually the technology for using "Stella" isn't too complicated, but I sure have trouble getting the unit to stick to the windshield.

BUT THEN, I hadn't read my e-mail for a while and found about 85 messages. A few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea professionally to join two listservs that are forums for foreign language teachers. I should have known that everytime one person posts a question or comment, at least 25 others have to respond....and they all come to my inbox.

AND THEN, I'm going to attempt to add a picture from the Potty Party to this blog. Let's see if I can handle that!
















No wonder I don't have time to work those other machines.....washers, dryers, vacuums,.........

No comments:

Post a Comment