Thursday, October 15, 2009

Today's News from the Family Blogs

The family bloggers now include one son, one sister-in-law, one niece and one nephew. For people who live all over the country but hate to make phone calls, it's just delightful to keep in touch via cyberspace. Today I laughed through my sister-in-law's disgusting but funny experience with a pre-school student, then chuckled through my niece's vignettes of life with two little boys, then grinned at my son's funny photographs and commentary, then smiled as my nephew beautifully expressed his love through poetry. Then I thought, "What humorous or beautiful tidbit can I add to the family tales today?" Here goes.

The alarm went off in the pitch-black darkness of 6:00 a.m. and by 6:40 I was off in the freezing October weather to see school friends at our first birthday breakfast of the year. Although it is always great to see these special people, our conversation seemed to dwell on illnesses, surgeries, and difficult parents. I briefly stopped at home and was treated to a one-sided conversation by my cleaning lady about her recently deceased client. By 8:45 when I left for church for my day of manning (womaning?) the phones for the vacationing office manager it was not just cold, but raining. The day was pretty quiet but did involve phone calls about death and illness. Another volunteer came in and described her recent painful condition and resultant surgery. During quiet moments I read a totally depressing novel about the Holocaust and Arab-Israel conflict. When my phone "womaning" day was finished, I went to the nursing home and felt the continuing sadness over the recent loss of dear but illegal immigrant employees.

Then tonight I find out that Tempe is dating Booth's boss rather than Booth who really loves her. Then, unbelievably, Izzie Stevens got fired from Seattle Grace. How can they fire her right after her miraculous recovery from horrible cancer? Then Violet still has no feeling for her baby, the only available kidney for a dying woman is from her HIV-infected sister, and the "bubble boy" goes to a school dance and collapses from infection.

OK, the last paragraph is about TV and I guess that's not real.

The paragraph about my day is true but.....there were many laughs at breakfast, the church day included welcoming our new pastor and a lunch with a good friend. The nursing home visit included pleasant conversation with my mom. And TV watching was a nice guilty pleasure.

It was just a pretty ordinary, not very exciting day....and it's very hard to compete with today's funny, joyful, and silly news from the family blogs. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment