Friday, October 2, 2009

I Want One of Those

Chicago didn't get the Olympics.

The well-known Cuban pediatrician husband of my college mentor passed away---a fact that has brought back a plethora of memories of the huge influence his wife had on my career and life.

Kevin had a bike accident on Wednesday and is nursing a very badly scraped and cut arm which, fortunately, is expected to heal just fine.

But, what is really sticking in my brain today is a request from Gloria.

Gloria is a very pleasant and "with it" resident at Rosewood. At the end of my visit with my mother a little while ago, I wheeled her into the dining room to be ready for the "Quizmo" game which was about to begin. As I pushed Mom into place next to Gloria, I turned to Gloria and teasingly asked her to keep Mom in line during the game. Then I gave Mom a hug and stood up to leave. Before I could move, however, Gloria said to me, "I want one of those." Of course, I hugged her, and now I can't get her simple and poignant request out of my head.

Many Chicagoans, the pediatrician's family, Kevin and millions of others probably all want "one of those"today, but like most adults, would never ask. What a shame that most of us have to be under five or over eighty to simply say, "I want one of those." What a shame that most of us never think to give "one of those" without being asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment