Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Let It Go!

While Kevin was in California I didn't fret about his professional future. I knew he was having a wonderful experience and told myself that he'd deal with the new academic year when he returned.

Shortly after his return, Kevin took an audition for the New World Symphony in Miami and was a finalist...a wonderful achievement but not the full time job everyone had hoped for. He then had virtually nothing on his professional plate, but I gave myself daily lectures on staying out of his business and letting my worries go. Kevin may have a different opinion on how my "letting go" actually played out, but I really didn't let my brain get overwhelmed with details of his career that are completely out of my power to change in any case.

So what has happened? Kevin substituted with the Civic Orchestra in September and he leaves next week to play a concert with the New World Symphony. He is once again in the Civic Orchestra's "Musicorps" which will give school and community percussion concerts throughout the year. He is the percussion coach for the Chicago Youth Concert Orchestra, the second tier orchestra of the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra he belonged to in high school. Yesterday he was hired by a local high school to give weekly private lessons to a group of students and he continues to get shifts as stage manager at the Music Institute. Whew!

Obviously, my "letting go" didn't make these things happen. My "letting go" won't eventually get him a permanent orchestra position. My "letting go", however, has freed me to rejoice in each professional step Kevin takes and to be much more relaxed when he has disappointments. I'm not in charge, but God is....and, as the sappy hymn line reads, He always provides us with "yet one more surprise."

No comments:

Post a Comment