Monday, September 28, 2009

Am I still in 8th grade?

I GOT A DETENTION!

Not really, but our choir director reacted to the low attention at rehearsal last week by instituting a second rehearsal each Sunday at 8:00.

I considered being passive-aggressive and just not showing up for this extra rehearsal. I also considered "suggesting" (read: send a nasty e-mail) to the director that perhaps the music and schedule he has chosen are just too difficult for this choir with an average age of 68 or so. Instead, I acted like an adult, was pleasant, and went to the rehearsal.

And an unexpected nice thing happened. My throat didn't tighten up and I didn't make croaking sounds every time I had to sing a "G" or an "A".

A word of explanation. As a teacher I had an annual case of laryngitis. Over the years, it has taken longer to recover from each bout. Following our trip to France in June, I had some sort of airplane induced virus and again lost my voice. Talking quickly returned, but I couldn't sing at all for many weeks. Eventually I could sing low notes and high notes, but not the notes in the middle of my range. The multi-verse hymns particularly taxed my vocal chords. Yesterday I sang sans croaking!

Was yesterday some sort of divine "retribution"? Go to the rehearsal like a good girl and you will be rewarded with a healed voice? Hmmmmm.

THE WHOLE CLASS GOT YELLED AT WHEN ONLY A FEW MISBEHAVED

The water aerobics teacher read a "memo" from the exercises program director reminding us of several rules...particularly the one about not talking during the exercise classes. The vast majority of the group was really glad the issue was finally addressed.

The funny thing is that the offenders were not there today. The "good students", of course, looked abashed and were afraid to even say "excuse me" if they bumped into someone.

Things haven't changed from when the "bad kids" snickered and the "good kids" were ashamed while the entire class got a lecture back in 8th grade.

I WATCH TOO MUCH TV

This is an embarrassing confession.

While in the pool I looked out the wall of windows and saw a beautiful blue sky with white fluffy clouds. I said to myself, "Why does this view look so familiar."

Then it hit me. The REAL sky and clouds looked exactly like the opening scene of every Simpsons episode.

Get a life, Alice!

No comments:

Post a Comment