Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

I've spent the last few days rewriting my Art of Spain presentations. I added pictures of Picasso and Dalí' paintings and sculptures that we saw in various museums in Paris. That meant that I had to do research on these artworks. That meant I had to rewrite my notes and the student notes.

I had a ball!

During July and August I rewrote the handbooks for my BER seminars. Then I had to rewrite the "script" and re-do much of the Power Point for the Differentiation seminar. After presenting the seminar in El Paso in August, I realize I have to do yet more adjusting because I ran out of time for some things.

It's really satisfying!

The next project is to rewrite the script and re-do the Power Point for the Active Conversation seminar.

I'm looking forward to it!

Then I'll be done....unless I decide to mess with them yet again!

Now, all three of these presentations and materials were really quite OK before I began fiddling with them. But,just as I rarely used material in exactly the same way from year to year in my teaching, I still have that need to make things a little better.

So, why do I "waste" time doing this?

1. I really do feel a need to fix whatever bothers me about a presentation.
2. I really do enjoy having adequate time to devote to such a project. Yeah,
retirement! Whatever I'm doing doesn't have to be done during my preparation
period between 9:37 and 10:22!
3. It really is fun to find all that cool information now available on the Internet!
4. (TRUE CONFESSION) If I'm doing this, I don't have to deal with all the house
tasks!

What will it take to give me the same intrinsic need to make things a little better in my house? Why can't I find the same satisfaction from cleaning out a file cabinet?
Or organizing recipes? Or, yikes!, clearing out my mother's storage locker?

I need a brain make-over. Wonder if there is a TV show "What Not to Do?" that can help me find joy in house tasks?

1 comment:

  1. #4 works in all kinds of situations. If I keep busy with cool stuff in the lab, I don't have to clean my office!

    ReplyDelete