Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Snipets

What's not to love about a pastor who, two weeks in a row, refers to Calvin and Hobbes as part of his sermon!

Why is it not surprising that I spent 45 minutes this morning explaining all about Facebook to my mother? When I showed her postings by my brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew she was blown away. "You mean I could be in constant contact with all of them if I had one of those devices?" So, who wants to belly up to buy her a smart phone and data plan for her birthday?

How wonderful that Mom is so sharp that she cares about and is interested in what's new in the world around her. How sad that her stroke took away her ability to deal with anything that requires physically manipulating a "device" and/or using math. How thankful we all are that the loss is math rather than cognitive ability!

Mom's not the only funny and sharp person at the nursing home. Her table mate, Sally, couldn't wait to tell me her story. Seems her four-year-old great-granddaughter visited yesterday along with her parents and the family dog. Sally told me that an "elderly" person asked the little girl what breed of dog it was. Now, it's already striking me funny that Sally referred to someone else as "elderly", (after all, Sally is only 90!) but the girl's response is even funnier.

"The dog is Jewish and I am too."

I couldn't resist asking Sally if the dog keeps Kosher. She giggled, but Mom responded, "It would be even funnier if the dog was a dauchshund"

It took me a moment to realize what Mom was getting at.....a Kosher Jewish dog would never eat a wiener!

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, she's sharp. I didn't get it until you explained it.

    ReplyDelete