Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Day in Texas

I just returned from a one-day trip to give a seminar in Texas. A few observations....

  • Texas are strong. They put up with 101+º temperatures and high humidity all summer. Their only complaint was that the air-conditioning was set too low in the room.
  • Texans care about how they look. Every teacher at yesterday's seminar was well dressed. Women wore attractive summer dresses or well put together capri or dress shorts outfits. All wore dressy sandals. The men all wore collared shirts and pressed pants. Not a flip-flop in sight! I was impressed!
  • Texas is growing! This school district has gone from 3 schools to 45 schools in 10 years! They open schools like we open pop cans. I saw building cranes everywhere. Everything looks new....though bald.
  • This school district really supports its teachers. Every year they provide specific seminars such as mine for each curricular area. They develop the master schedule at each school so that teachers of the same subject/level have common planning time. They encourage collaboration. They provide the technology. Guess what! The teachers were gung-ho! Good stuff!
  • The teachers were also thoughtful. After the seminar, the teachers had to stay for an additional hour. When I left, they were all huddled in language groups so actively planning that they didn't even notice me leave. At the end of their required time, however, someone noticed that some projects I had shown had been left on a back table. Someone actually called me immediately and promised to send them to me...and scoffed when I said I'd pay for the postage.
  • Texas roads are very confusing. They have a system of frontage roads that go alongside every expressway and carry the same name. Each frontage rode is one-way. The GPS never is able to tell you which one you should be on. If you want to make a left turn off of the frontage road, DON'T get in the left lane! The far left lane is only for u-turns onto the other side of the expressway. A left turn is from the second to the left lane.
  • Texas toll roads are even more confusing. Both to and from the seminar site I ended up on a new tollway. I drove under the same sort of sensors we have on Illinois toll roads, but never saw a toll booth for those not having the "TollTag". There was no toll booth on the exit ramp. Who knows, maybe I'll get a bill in the mail for $1,000 in unpaid tolls!
  • The airport road is yet more confusing. Upon entering DFW airport, I went through a toll booth. I pulled out my wallet expecting to pay, but discovered all I had to do was take a ticket. I then drove seven miles (I'm not exaggerating.) to the rental car return. At the rental car return exit was another toll booth. I pulled in there expecting to finally have to pay something...and was waved through. What am I supposed to do with my little ticket?
  • At least in suburban Dallas, Texas is less Texan. I didn't see one cowboy hat or any boots. I didn't hear any "y'alls" and no one called me "Miss Alice", though I was called "Ma'am" more than once....ouch! I still feel like a "Miss".
  • DFW airport food is bad....but then airport food is bad everywhere.
  • At least DFW didn't make me go through the whole body scanner like O'Hare did!

3 comments:

  1. The boys call our seventeen year old babysitter Ma'am. It's just a Southern thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you go too far in your praise for Texas schools and education, remember that Texas is the state that decided to drop Thomas Jefferson from the social studies curriculum and to essentially rewrite history with their conservative ideological mandate for textbooks used in the state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Susan! And what is particularly scary is that textbook companies cater to Texas because it is such a large state and has an official text adoption list.

    I was, however, impressed with the way this particular district treated their teachers.

    ReplyDelete