Sunday, August 16, 2009

Led by the Blind

We went to see Yo Yo Ma perform with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at Ravinia the other night. As we left the car Ken asked me to carry a small canvas bag in addition to the small rolling cooler I was toting. I fussed that it was too much!

Somehow I managed to carry these two extremely heavy (not!) items into the park, we found our friends and settled in for conversation, dinner, and music on the lawn. As we were eating I noticed a woman about my age leading a blind woman and her guide dog through the very crowded lawn to a spot just behind us. Then I realized that there was also a blind man with the group. The sighted woman calmly got the two people, the dog and their things all organized in the very congested area.

As we were eating I watched the sighted woman calmly and efficiently set up a table, put out nice table settings, prepare the food and drinks, assist her companions and settle in to enjoy the concert. At intermission I opted not to go to the washroom as it was so crowded that I feared I'd not be able to find our group upon my return. Meanwhile, to my shock, the sighted woman calmly guided the blind woman and her dog across a multitude of blankets in a zigzag path to the walkway!

As we were cleaning up after the concert I again watched the sighted woman calmly put all her things away, pile her two very large coolers and table on a luggage carrier and head to her car. Her guests waited until she returned and calmly led them and the dog out of the park.

Funny, I didn't fuss at all about carrying two bags back to our car!

No comments:

Post a Comment