Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Mother's Dream

Every mom - especially mom's of first or only children - thinks that their child is brilliant....and hopes that the rest of the world comes to agree with her. I was no exception.

Because I highly value education (duh!), I was thrilled when I met Ken and found out that among his other stellar traits---such as NOT being interested in professional sports--- he has a PhD. He's not one of those self-important non-academic PhDs who insists on being referred to by the initials after his name, but I know that he had the perseverance and stamina to reach that academic goal and think that's mighty cool.

Along came our first child and I began to think of "my son the PhD". Talking in sentences at 18 months, check! He's on his way. Sixteen years of school later David had A JOB THAT HE LIKES! He had already stuck his toes in the presentation and publication pools. He was making great contributions professionally and in his volunteer activities. He also was sick of school and wanted no part of graduate work. Fine. I was proud and excited about all of the above.

Several years later however, the mom's dream of having the rest of the world recognize her child's brilliance occurred. His employers at Northwestern encouraged him and made it possible for him to begin his master's degree program while continuing to work full time. By next year, his master's will be a reality.

Recently his professors have been strongly encouraging David to go on for the PhD. Today his petition to be enrolled in the PhD program at Northwestern was accepted.

I'd be proud of my son if he dedicated his career to designing new Lego contraptions or experimenting with the bounce-ability of Spam (two of David's childhood talents), but it is truly exciting when "experts" in his field of Civil Engineering recognize that he has the ability and perseverance to pursue this new goal.

My son the PhD to be! .

No comments:

Post a Comment