Saturday, January 16, 2010

I Don't Have to Do That Anymore!

As I was perusing our local newspaper online I clicked on the police blotter and, once again, found that a former student has had a brush with the law. I felt bad for "Bart's" family as they are caring parents, but going back to 8th grade, they just didn't have a clue about what to do with a basically good kid who was totally influenced by the bad actions of his peers. Since his name is in the police blotter, "Bart" probably continues to be greatly influenced by the wrong kind of peers.

During "Bart's" year in both my class and homeroom, I spent a huge amount of emotional energy trying to figure out what to do with him. I devoted a tremendous amount of time talking with his mom. I spent most of the class period and homeroom trying to keep "Bart" in his seat and somewhat quiet so I could teach. I ignored other students' needs because "Bart's" behavior was constantly in my face.

I don't have to do that anymore!

Actually, thinking about "Bart" brought to mind the many, many things - some serious, some not - that I don't have to do anymore. Sometimes change is hugely apparent to us, sometimes change is huge but so subtle that it's not readily apparent as it's happening.

So, besides agonizing over students, what don't I do anymore?

  • I don't subscribe to the local paper. As the schools section shrunk, the "campus news" stopped appearing, the wedding announcements disappeared, and the pictures of society benefits dominated, I became more and more disenchanted with the local press. My fear of being cut off from local news and information about former students was unfounded, however, with the advent of the on-line version. Every couple of weeks I check to see who got married, who is on the dean's list and, yes, who is in the police blotter. All is well!
  • I still relish my paper copy of the Chicago Tribune as I eat breakfast but am not quite as hysterical as I formerly was about the potential demise of newspapers. Along with physically holding a paper in my hands as I drink my coffee, I also peruse the New York times on-line and receive e-mail updates all day long from the Tribune. It's not all bad.
  • I don't write checks anymore....well, rarely....and I haven't balanced my checkbook in years! Bills are paid on line, even the church contribution is automatically taken out of our checking account. I actually resent having to pay the hair dresser and my mother's bills with a real paper check. I love, love, love on-line payments but hate, hate, hate the fact that I run out of deposit slips long before I ever run out of checks!
  • I don't set an alarm....well, rarely.
  • I've given blood for probably the last time. The phlebotomists at our local blood center clearly were distressed with the state of my veins when I went last Wednesday. Giving platelets, as I've done for a while, was clearly out of the question as my veins are just too filled with scar tissue from years of donating blood. After they fussed a while with my "deep" veins, I was able to give whole blood, but then spent the rest of the day bordering on fainting. This change has been on the horizon for a while and it's a change that makes me sad.
  • I don't cook....well, rarely. Retirement was supposed to be filled with menu planning and lovely dinners prepared for my husband. Well, husband works late. I have a meeting, or rehearsal, or dinner with friends, or a tutoring session. Dinner ends up being on the fly. Seems like I cook an actual meal about twice a week and we eat leftovers on the other days. Not good!
  • We don't eat at the table. After always eating as a family around the table as the boys were growing up, we find ourselves sitting in front of the TV in our recliner chairs eating our leftovers. Very not good!
  • I don't think twice about booking a flight or renting a car or making a hotel reservation. All done on line, easy-peasy! Very efficient!
  • I don't use the land line. We are having serious conversation about dropping our regular telephone service. Why look up a phone number in an address book when I can just click and make the call on the cell phone? Why call at all when it is so much more efficient to text or e-mail? Very weird!
  • I don't do volunteer tasks that I don't want to do. No more feeling obligated to do a PTA task that I don't like. No more "volunteering" for a school committee that will entail endless hours possibly leading to nothing. No more serving on church boards that deal with money. Man, it's great to do volunteer activities that match my "gifts". Very cool!
  • I don't not exercise. Very horrible English but very worthwhile and fun!
  • I don't feel as guilty for reading a book for pleasure. Very wonderful!
  • I don't have to run to the grocery store and do laundry all day on Saturday. How refreshing to spend part of Saturday morning communicating with a few loyal readers! Keeping up with family and friends is something that I will NEVER put on my "don't have to do that anymore" list!

3 comments:

  1. I am also considering canceling my newspaper subscription, which makes me feel a bit guilty. Yet, it just isn't a quality product anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a story about a former student of yours, but not from the police blotter this time! Thanks to you, Miss Mormon I believe it was, I am a Spanish teacher and loving it! A long time ago (like almost 40 years ago) you gave me the "Spanish Student of the Year" award at Chippewa. I will never forget that moment! Susan R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, you made my day! So happy to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete