Monday, April 6, 2009

I Don't Get It!

Tonight is the final game in the NCAA basketball tournament and is also the Cubs opening game. Tonight is also the final Call Committee meeting before we start to meet with candidates. A member of the committee would like to be excused from the meeting because of the two aforementioned sports activities. I don't get it.

My upbringing was very strange in that my father did not have the slightest interest in any professional sports. I don't remember ever seeing any games on our television as a child. To add to that strangeness, I married a man who also doesn't have the slightest interest in any professional sports! In all honesty, I suspect that Ken's lack of excitement about professional sports was one of the things that attracted me to him.

The second strangeness of my upbringing is that we never had a dog or cat...and I married a man who had never had a dog or cat.

Somehow, the "sins" of the parents and grandparents have not entirely been passed on to the children. David and Kevin actually are baseball fans. They have been known to go to games! They watch games on TV! Most astounding, they both are step-parents to cats! Wow!

Their parents remain oblivious and pet free. David once mentioned in passing that he was going to a baseball game. We only found out that he was not at Wrigley Field for this Cubs game when we happened to be in a restaurant where it was being shown on TV----from Cincinnati! Who knows what other surreptitious sports watching has occurred without our knowledge?

Now, we can think of the nature vs. nurture thing. I seriously doubt there is any kind of anti-professional sports or anti-dog/cat gene, and strongly suspect that our weirdness is strictly due to our nurturing--especially since our children seem to have overcome their deprived backgrounds.

When it comes to missing important activities with real live people in order to watch a game, however, I still don't get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment